Monday, January 23, 2012

Salsa Recipe

Ok...I think I have found the greatest recipe in the world for salsa...ok maybe not the WORLD; but it's pretty good!!!

www.copykat.com/2009/03/27pappasitos-salsa/

My husband loves Pappasitos salsa and I have attempted in the past to make some; but it just never tasted quite right.  Until now!!!  :0)

Ingredients:  (Ingredients I used - website has a little different spices)
8 whole tomatoes
1 small yellow onion - diced
1 Jalapeno pepper
1 Poblano pepper
1/2 tsp. Celery Salt
1/8 tsp. Oregano
1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro
1/2 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Salt

Also - the recipe on the website calls for 1/3 - 3/4 cup of water; but I found that I didn't need any water added.  Adding the extra water would have been too much.

I take no credit for this recipe at all because all I did was follow the directions.  I did tweak a few things to fit my taste and added an extra jalapeno for a little more heat. 

1 jalapeno - mild
2 was just right
3 eye - chi - wau wau :0)

Another secret is to use FRESH ingredients.  Don't buy your stuff till the day you're going to make it.  It will taste ok if you have to wait; but it tastes so much better if they're fresh. 

You start by coring and de-seeding 1 Poblano pepper and your jalapenos (however many you choose)

Heat a large skillet on medium (4 or 5)

When heated spray skillet with PAM and drop in peppers.  Stir and cook till till they are brown on both sides.  You might have to re-spray pan a couple times during the whole process. 

When they are brown add your tomatoes (WHOLE tomato except for the hard part the stem sticks in - I do not know the technical term)   The recipe calls for Roma tomatoes...I prefer vine ripened.  I have used both and I think that the Vine Ripened has a better flavor when roasted. 



Next, when your tomatoes have browned on several sides remove the skillet from heat and add your onion (diced).



Sure wish you had smellavision :0) YUMMY!!!



While the onions are warming go ahead and put your seasonings into your food processor. 

 
Next, add your cilantro and slowly spoon the vegetables into your food processor. 
I only did a little at a time so that it all mixed well. 



Next poor it back into the skillet and heat for 3 minutes to warm it all back up good...

And vuala...



yummy yummy :0)

Thank you copykat!!!!  Hope you enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment